I am presently a little obsessed with winter squash as you can probably tell by the selection of recipes I have been posting lately.There is such a large variety of winter squash available for sale these days,each with a slightly different flavor and texture.There are some squash I prefer to use in my baking for sweets,while others I prefer for savory dishes.Acorn squash have always been a personal favorite as one squash is the perfect size to serve two people,and although acorn squash is delicious simply brushed with butter and a sprinkling of brown sugar,this variety of squash is also the perfect vessel for stuffing.
I often serve stuffed acorn squash as our main course,and the stuffing options are endless.You can use a variety of grains flavored with vegetables,or use a combination of meat,fruit,and vegetables as I have in this recipe.The sweetness of the squash works well with apples,and I chose a turkey based Italian sausage to keep my dish as healthy as possible.Stuffed squash is a perfect fall dish to use as a main course,or divided and shared as a side dish.
Deborah Mele 2016
- 2 Acorn Squash,Halved,Seeds Removed
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil,Divided
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Celery
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Red Pepper
- 1/2 Pound Italian Turkey Sausage,Mild or Spicy,Meat Removed From Casings>
- 1 Apple,Cored & Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Dried Cranberries
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chopped Fresh Sage
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 Cup Soft Breadcrumbs
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush the acorn squash with olive oil and place on a baking sheet cut side up.
- Bake until the squash is fork tender about 40 minutes.
- While the squash is baking,heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the onions,celery,and red pepper,for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add the sausage meat and betway官网continue to cook until the meat is no longer pink,breaking up the meat with two forks as it cooks.
- Add the apple,cranberries,sage,parsley,and breadcrumbs,and cook another 5 minutes,stirring often.
- Sprinkle some of the broth over the sausage mixture to moisten it.
- Scoop the filling into the four cooked squash,rounding the top.
- Sprinkle the top with the grated cheese,and bake until golden brown,for about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield:4 Serving Size:1 half
Amount Per Serving: Calories:626 Total Fat:28g Saturated Fat:7g Trans Fat:0g Unsaturated Fat:18g Cholesterol:90mg Sodium:1081mg Carbohydrates:65g Fiber:9g Sugar:24g Protein:31g